NASAT 2016

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

NASAT 2016

Postby pbergman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:38 am

HSAPQ is running its NASAT tournament June 18-19 at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY. Team Ohio's base of operations has moved North this year to Solon. We will be sending out more specific tryout information in the next week or so, but the general idea is that we're trying to secure a high-difficulty question set which we will then use for tryouts via Skype, probably in early-mid February.

If you think you're interested in trying out, please let me know at peterbergman [AT] solonboe [DOT] org.

I would encourage more rather than less people to try out. The team we select will be 6 people, but the tryouts will offer a chance to hear some high-level questions and compete against some of Ohio's best competitors, even if you don't think you're in the top 6 in the state at this point.

Again, stay tuned for tryout details shortly.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Re: NASAT 2016

Postby Djones » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 am

FYI- NASAT has posted that they will not run the tournament unless they had a minimum of 12 states committed by January, and they currently have 7. Just letting everyone know the real opportunity that the tournament may not take place this year.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks. I had meant to mention this and forgot. However, if NASAT doesn't end up happening, perhaps we will still go ahead with the tryouts/practices to give anyone who wants it a shot to hear those questions. Stay tuned.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Our question set has changed and tryouts have been moved back into late March. Once we get some definite information from NASAT, we will decide on the next step.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 am

Since NASAT has been officially confirmed by HSAPQ, I'll go ahead and post the updated Team Ohio tryout information:

This is an invitation to players to try out for Team Ohio to compete in HSAPQ’s National All Star Academic Tournament on June 18-19 2016 in Lexington Kentucky. The team will ultimately be comprised of six players, but we would like to open up tryouts to a much wider range of students in Ohio who might not otherwise see themselves as “top six” players. To that end, we are going to hold preliminary tryouts on the evenings of April 10th, 11th, 12th, via Skype (or some other method TBD). Groups for this will be divided into regions based on who signs up. Regions and dates will be announced once we have all the names in. Students will only compete on one of the regional sessions.

Then, finals will be held on the evening of April 12th once the regionals results have been sorted through.

So, we encourage any more experienced players to consider trying out. We are going to read tossups from Maryland/Yale’s MYSTERIUM set. Each tryout session will last between an hour and an hour and a half. We’re hoping that this approach will be fun and offer exposure to high level questions to as many students in the state as possible.

Students can sign up simply by emailing me at peterbergman[AT]solonboe[DOT]org. If students have already emailed me and heard back from me, it’s not necessary to write again. Please consider trying out even if you don’t think they’ll make the final team. The worst case scenario is that you spend an hour online with other committed quizbowl players from the state listening to tough quizbowl questions. Not really a high risk situation.

The cutoff date for signing up for this will be Friday April 1st. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Just a reminder: Last day to sign up for NASAT tryouts is tomorrow, Friday 4/1. Please let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: See post below. The deadline has been extended.
Last edited by pbergman on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:20 am

The deadline has actually been extended to next Wednesday, 4/6.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Sign-up List:

Rohin Devanathan/Solon
John Xiang/Solon
Frank Zhu/Brecksville-Broadview Heights
Pranav P/Boardman
Nour Hijazi/Sidney
Aaron Jensen/Sidney
Laurel Spangler/Tippecanoe
George Varcarel/Mason
Koh Yamakawa/Scioto
Clark Smith/Scioto
Simon Zhuang/Jerome
Hanley Ma/Liberty
Rebekah Gibby/Liberty
Adam Hiltz/Liberty
Hunter Wotruba/Fisher Catholic
KC Meckley/Triway
Andrew Mitchell/Sidney
Ricky Sammartino/Boardman
Tommy Varley/Copley
Vincent Lucarelli/Sylvania Southview
Patrick Andres/Northview
Colin Heath/Aurora
George Huncik/Lowellville
Frank Fioritto/Jefferson
Andrew Zhang/Jerome

Still plenty of time and space to register! If you've emailed me and don't see your name on the list, please make sure to get in touch with me.
Last edited by pbergman on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 am

Last Call! I'll take any other sign-ups today as long as the email is dated before midnight tonight.

We've got a terriffic field from all over the state, and I sincerely hope it's a great experience for all involved.

Tomorrow I will send an email out, but here's the basic layout:

We'll have probably 3 prelim groups. Once we get everyone connected to the "call," we will do 10-15 warmup tossups in order to iron out the process, make sure internet is working, etc... I will be hosting the call from a hardline connected laptop, so that should help in terms of internet reliability. I realize that doing it this way has its limitations, but we're going to work with it and do the best job we can, and we think that the benefits of reaching as many students as we are this way outweigh the hazards of it.

Once we start, we'll do several rounds of tossups from the Maryland/Yale set MYSTERIUM.

After the 3 prelim rounds, the top 4 from each group will make it to the final. The top 6 will emerge from the final. Since summer schedules can be somewhat unpredictable, though, players 7-12 will be considered alternates and will get the call in order of finish if any dropouts or unexpected circumstances emerge.

So stay tuned for schedule details tomorrow!
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:35 am

My students Hanley and Rebekah enjoyed the opportunity to hear questions and play against some top notch players. Adam had other summer commitments so he was not be able to join.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 am

Congratulations to Team Ohio 2016:

Hunter Wotruba/Fisher Catholic
Clark Smith/Dublin Scioto
John Xiang/Solon
Simon Zhuang/Dublin Jerome
Rohin Devanathan/Solon
Koh Yamakawa/Dublin Scioto

The alternates are, in order,

Vincent Lucarelli/Sylvania Southview
Thomas Varley/Copley
Nour Hijazi/Sidney
Frank Zhu/Brecksville-Broadview Hts
Aaron Jensen/Sidney
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Congratulations Team Ohio!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Good luck and who is able to go on the B team?
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Does NASAT allow states to enter B teams now?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:32 am

Per this: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17902 HSAPQ announced they were accepting B teams a couple weeks ago. I opened up the opportunity to our alternates, then went down the line from there after they had all had a chance to express interest.

Pending a couple possible changes, Ohio B's roster will be:

Hanley Ma/Olentangy Liberty
Rebekah Gibby/Olentangy Liberty
Daniel Guo/Solon

Congratulations to these students!
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 am

Sweet, that sounds like a very exciting opportunity for four more students! With three of the B team members being seniors, I believe, it also means they get one more tournament.

And, perhaps most importantly ( :mrgreen: ) , it also means four more students get to see the "Florence Y'all" water tower on I-75 south as they drive by.

Best of luck, you all will make us proud!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:21 am

I will be updating scores for both Ohio A and Ohio B as consistently as I can on Twitter today: @solonquizbowl

We are playing a 15 team round robin: 14 matches over 15 rounds, 13 rounds today, two tomorrow. At that time, regular finals rules apply: clear the field by two, advantaged final, one game final, etc...
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts