Waynedale Fall Tournament (MSNCT-16) OQBA 10/1/16

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Waynedale Fall Tournament (MSNCT-16) OQBA 10/1/16

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 pm

1st annual Waynedale Fall Tournament (MSNCT-16)

You are cordially invited to the 1st annual Waynedale Fall Tournament (MSNCT-16) @ Waynedale High School in Apple Creek, Ohio on Saturday October 1st, 2016. The initial field cap will be 18 teams, but I will try to open that up if there is interest and I can secure enough competent readers. NAQT (the National Academic Quiz Tournaments) has officially certified this event as a National qualifier. This means that the top 15% of teams in the tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the HSNCT in Atlanta May 26th 2017. Some schools will qualify for SSNCT. PACE has given us gold certification. This means that the top 20% of teams in the tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for our national high school quizbowl championship, the PACE NSC on the weekend of June 10th-11th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago. Full guidelines on how qualification works can be found at http://www.pace-nsc.org/2017-nsc-team-q ... uidelines/. make checks out to Waynedale HS and in the memo put Academic Challenge.

Teams will be broken into 4 preliminary brackets of 6 teams each and will play round robin. At the conclusion of morning play, teams will be re-bracketed into 6 brackets of 4 to play another round robin with similar teams, with the top 2 teams at the conclusion of afternoon play for the tournament championship if needed. Every team will be guaranteed 8 rounds. Scoring: 15 point powers, 10 point powers, and no negs. Every team will be guaranteed 8 rounds.

Registration opens at 8:00 A.M. until 8:30 A.M. followed by a brief meeting for coaches and players. We expect to begin play promptly at 9:00 A.M. Please email Jennifer George at soea_george [at] tccsa [dot] net.

FEES:
All Teams are: $40
BUZZERS/ Moderators: Teams are expected to bring buzzers and moderators.

We look forward to seeing you at Waynedale High School this October! For more information contact Jennifer George at soea_george [at] tccsa [dot] net
Last edited by crbirdx1 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:58 am, edited 10 times in total.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: 1st annual Waynedale HS Tournament (NAQT A) OQBA

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Readers) 8/9/4

Waynedale (1/1/?)
Smithville (3/2/?)
Olentangy Liberty (1/3/1)
Orville (1/1/1)
Black River (1/1/?)
Our Lady of the Elms (1/1/?)
Last edited by crbirdx1 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: 1st annual Waynedale HS Tournament (NAQT A) OQBA 10/1/16

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Redacted
Last edited by Get Lynned on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby fred » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:56 am

It's really dumb to attack someone for using a NAQT set at their tournament. I'd suggest not doing that.
fred

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:04 am

Fred,

(edit as of 5:55 pm)
My complaint was not a mere "oh no, they're using NAQT, argghhhh format wars". Between the weekend and this morning, what was understood was Bob's set was in the works of getting set up for a mirror @ Waynedale, but for some unknown reason it was changed to NAQT and all of the sudden it's evidently under new direction. Roughly 48 hours had gone by between both my first post and Bob's post and there wasn't a response, and Bob hadn't yet been filled in on what happened. At the time, in the moment it came off as a sketchy situation because not many details were given and Cortney didn't respond to either of the first two replies. The situation before Bob received the email explaining what happened looked like something unorthodox was going on. I know Bob worked rather hard on his set and was earnestly trying to raise money for his club at Eastlake North, so the idea that Bob may have lost out his mirror to the lowest bidder was bothersome.

(Original Post)

Last week, the hosting school contacted Bob Kilner about using his OAC set, where all the tossups are pyramidal (emphasis on the fact it is pyramidal, because there is likely still the idea that OAC = non-pyramidal.) Within the past two years, Bob (who formerly coached at Garfield Heights in the 2000's) started a quizbowl team at the high school he now teaches at and in an effort to raise money for his school to do more events this academic year, he wrote this set in the hopes of teams playing it at his main site as well as receiving $10/team at any mirrors.

It was mentioned on here in the past week that Waynedale HS was looking to host a mirror of Bob's set. Bob, as evidenced by his post, was under the impression that he was going to have a mirror in play. Instead he found out he wasn't going to end up with a mirror via this tournament announcement. If him finding out via a third party and not directly they didn't want to mirror his set was the only thing wrong here, then this wouldn't be an issue worth posting about.

What is troubling is Bob mentioned in the last week or so, on here, that he might have a mirror of his set at this school only for someone who lives roughly 100 miles from this school to post that he, evidently, managed to convince the hosting school to use NAQT instead. Again, NAQT is more expensive and given that it is an A-set, it is probably a leaner set in terms of clues versus the regular IS set, and more generally since it is NAQT fewer pyramidal tossups in a packet (20-24 depending on how many are played,) than this OAC set; which has 30 pyramidal tossups in a packet (ten category tossups that are pyramidal, 20 in the lightning round.)

To clarify, my derision isn't directed at the coach of the hosting high school. What is wrong though is someone undermining the product and potential deal in place, one that would benefit not just the hosting school but also the school of the set's writer, for really no good reason. There was no mention on our calendar discussion this year that Cortney Bird/OQBA had any interest in running this tournament or that it'd even get the OQBA label slapped onto it. It is mentioned on here within the past week or so that this school might host the OAC set, and then within a few days later it's announced all of the sudden that instead it's now running an NAQT set with it being an event of this "OQBA." Hmm... it's mystifying how that comes about. Could it be that someone from this OQBA, possibly the person who wrote this tournament announcement himself, contacted the hosting school's coach and convinced them to do NAQT and run it under his label after seeing they were looking to host a different set instead?

While I respect you and what you do, Fred, I just don't buy the rhetoric of "you can't complain about someone using NAQT" in light of what I've posted. Just because questions come from a certain vendor doesn't mean their usage supersedes the ethics upon which we operate as a quizbowl scene. I'm not going to sit back and think "thank goodness they're running NAQT", not when someone disrupts a potential deal-in-place that not only benefits another Ohio program but is also a better economic value.
Last edited by Get Lynned on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Waynedale Fall Tournament (MSNCT-16) OQBA 10/1/16

Postby BobKilner » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:50 pm

I was just contacted by Jennifer to explain how everything came about. While I'm disappointed that I thought I had a mirror lined up for my set, qualifying teams to SSNCT is big for the small schools of Wayne County and surrounding areas, so when a set became available, they jumped at the opportunity.

I wish them luck with their tournament.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:31 pm

What I failed to do in this situation was realize the coach at Waynedale, not to say this in a prejudiced way nor a pejorative way but in a way that is realistic of the situation, may not have been aware to neither the etiquette to inform they aren't interested in their set (doing so timely) or of the fact a situation was unfolding on the message board here regarding their tournament and a potential controversy on the set brokerage. As I said in my previous iteration of the post, Bob Kilner finding out his mirror isn't happening via a message board, while it can suck, isn't really an issue worth griping about to the magnitude the above posts went. Considering that, it is unreasonable for me to hold the coach at Waynedale to that standard. Mistakes happen on one hand, and similarly oversights happen as well. I don't think anyone can really help or could've changed the fact the initial confusion went down the way it did: it was obvious that what happened was the tournament announcement just happened to come up before the notification to Bob from Waynedale's coach about what caused the switch. It was simply an unfortunate coincidence of events and miscommunication at the time. I apologize for any of my previous material on this thread that may have been interpreted as derision toward the Waynedale coach. Everyone who knows me would vouch for the idea that I do not go out of my way to attack individuals, especially not needlessly... that's just not who I am.

I obviously felt, and still do feel, strongly about supporting Ohio programs and their products. While it may have been a jumping to conclusions earlier, I'm not going to back down for my assertive opinion that a sub-IS level set from NAQT, given the expenses mentioned up-thread and general shortness of the tossups, is an inferior product to the high quality, pyramidal set produced to benefit an Ohio school that is far more economical and canonical and that why a school would flip from being interested in the latter to purchasing the former was suitable for discussion - thus explaining my disbelief in the first post. It's why I decided to mirror Bob's set at Ohio State; to help Bob's team out; to expose students to a strong set; and to help the folks at Ohio State out as well. While it is clarified now as to what happened, I hope this explains why I was so animate and frustrated at the initial thought that Bob lost out on a mirror (again, given the lack of communication earlier it seemed like Bob had lost out to a lowest bidder.) This view should not be taken as a reflection of anyone that worked on the OAC Fall set, including Kilner, as it is my opinion only.

Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, what is most important is what the customer wants and consequently what the students want. If SSNCT qualification is a top priority for the teams attending Waynedale's tournament, then who am I to say that's inherently wrong?

I hope to see Waynedale and other small school participants at their tournament on 10/1 at some events in Central Ohio and NE Ohio as well, big and small alike.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:40 am

Black River just signed up and we will be a PACE-NSC qualifier tourney.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Our Lady of the Elms is coming.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:46 am

Smithville is up to 3 teams.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:57 pm

We'll have 10 teams tomorrow. Waynedale has 2 and we'll have 2.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts