TRASH '16 - Quick Results

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

TRASH '16 - Quick Results

Postby BobKilner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks to all the students, coaches and volunteers who made our 12th annual TRASH tournament a success once again. We enjoy putting it together as much I hope all the kids have playing it all over the state. The set will be eventually sent out, although I'm working on editing some repeats out and a couple of factual errors. Once that is complete and I talk to some other people about mirrors, then I will clear it.

Stats to follow later this week when I finish re-entering them into the computer since all of us forgot to save the file to my flash drive.

We lost 5 teams from 4 schools this morning due to weather, so we had 36 teams playing the set. Had I know that was going to happen earlier, I would have prepared a typical 6 brackets of 6 scenario, but I had some other contingencies ready and they worked out. So we had 4 brackets of 7 and one of 8.

Playoff Results:

Quarterfinals
(1) St. Edward A 225 - (8) James A. Garfield B 180
(4) Olmsted Falls B 230 - (5) East High 110
(6) Streetsboro B 355 - (3) St. Edward B 135
(2) Rootstown A 325 - (7) Huron B 110

Semifinals
(1) St. Edward A 330 - (4) Olmsted Falls B 175
(6) Streetsboro B 260 - (2) Rootstown A 150

Finals
(6) Streetsboro B 315 - (1) St. Edward A 135

It was a great day, one of the most-fun TRASH tournaments in the twelve years since we started.

Thank you to all of our volunteer readers/scorekeepers/lunch workers, etc. A special thanks to Ryan, Nick, Andy, Cari, Drew, Tom, Matt and Anderson on the set.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Re: TRASH '16 - Quick Results

Postby jrbellas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:04 pm

We had 36 teams at Tipp with only one Chimera needed to fill a last minute cancellation. Weather was fine down here.

Six brackets of 36 were played, with the top 32 making the single-elimination playoff. The bottom four played a three round circle of death to determine the "Best of the Rest" as well as the worst trash team in the region.

Because I don't want to type too much, here are the semis and finals:

Semifinal One
Simon Kenton A - 410
Fisher Catholic A - 140

Semifinal Two
Fisher Catholic B - 420
St. Charles B - 140

Finals
Simon Kenton A - 445
Fisher Catholic B - 280

Best Costume went to "Dr. Strange" from Fisher Catholic.

Top three individuals were Chris Jericho from Simon Kenton A, Kandy Kane from Tecumseh, and @realDonaldTrump from ECOT. Top neg award went to Yergens #1 from Bethel B.

We had an awesome trophy that my wife managed to cobble together. I'll probably start a traveling trophy next year along similar lines. I tried to attach a photo of it but the file size is too big. :D

Thanks to everyone who came out and competed. The questions were as good as they've ever been and all of the competitors were very entertained and excited to play them. The special rules for the final were especially well received.

Special thanks to all of my volunteers who stepped up to read and scorekeep. We essentially ran a ten round tournament in 7 hours!
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Re: TRASH '16 - Quick Results

Postby BobKilner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 am

Since I finally received all of the scoresheets, I can post the team stats now... we did not track individual stats, so its only by team.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4154/
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Return to Old/Outdated Posts