1st Annual Southern Meigs MS-20 QB Tournament 2/4/17 OQBA

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

1st Annual Southern Meigs MS-20 QB Tournament 2/4/17 OQBA

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:17 am

1st Annual Southern Meigs (Racine, Ohio) Middle School Quiz Bowl Tournament

You are invited to the 1st annual Southern Meigs Middle School Quiz Bowl Tournament @ Southern MS in Racine, Ohio on Saturday February 4th, 2017. Currently the field cap is 24 teams, but I would be willing to increase that if there is enough interest and I am able to secure enough classrooms & competent readers. This tournament will be a NAQT national qualifier, assuming at least 3 schools are represented. The top 15% of the teams in the tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the MSNCT in Dallas, Texas on May 12th-14th, 2017. We will be using official NAQT rules (10 points per tossup, 15 points per tossup with power) with No Negatives or Bouncebacks. We will be using NAQT question set MS-20.

Check-in will begin at 8:15 A.M. and go until 8:45 A.M., with the first round of play to begin promptly at 9:00 A.M. Teams will be broken into preliminary brackets and will play a morning round robin. At the conclusion of morning play, the teams will be re-bracketed to play another round robin after lunch with similar teams. Every team will be guaranteed 8 rounds of play.

There will be a concession stand open for lunch in the cafetorium that will include hotdogs, pizza, chips, candy, etc. Proceeds from the concession stand will support our local Big Bend Youth Basketball League. There is also a Subway in town, if any of your parents would prefer to pickup food from there.

FEES: $50 per team
BUZZER DISCOUNT: -$5 per buzzer system
MODERATOR/READER DISCOUNT: -$5 per competent moderator
MINIMUM FEE (after discounts): $40 per team

**You may bring the registration fees with you the morning of the event.
Make checks payable to: Southern Local School District.

TO REGISTER: Please go to http://www.naqt.com and use the online registration system for the event. Please do not hesitate to contact Adam Phillips (adam.phillips@southernlocal.net) if you have any questions or need additional information.

This is an OQBA (Ohio Quiz Bowl Alliance) Event.

We hope to see you in February!

School Address:
Southern Local Schools
920 Elm Street
Racine, Ohio 45771
Last edited by crbirdx1 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: 1st Annual Southern MS QB Tournament 2/4/17 OQBA

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:22 am

Field:

Dempsey A
Hamilton A WV
Hamilton B WV
Licking Heights Central A
Licking Heights Central B
Licking Heights Central C
Olentangy Hyatts A
River Valley A
Southern Meigs A
Southern Meigs B
Southern Meigs C
Southern Meigs D
Southern Meigs E
Southern Meigs F
Southern Meigs G

Interested
Portsmouth
Last edited by crbirdx1 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Re: 1st Annual Southern MS-20 QB Tournament 2/4/17 OQBA

Postby crbirdx1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 am

field update
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby QuizBoss » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm

If this tournament uses single elimination playoffs, I would be inclined to rethink Licking Heights' participation.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm

It will rr or two groups of 6 depending on the final #'s.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Up to 14 teams.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby crbirdx1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 pm

River Valley added
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

A team from Gallia County is coming? That is huge. I hope that we can replicate this at the high school level in the future.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 am

ThePocketProtector wrote:A team from Gallia County is coming? That is huge. I hope that we can replicate this at the high school level in the future.

With schools from Gallia and Meigs Counties participating, I decided to draw two separate figures on a county map of Ohio. The purpose of the maps is to show a progression of activity, on a county basis, in pyramidal quiz bowl through recent years.

The first map indicates counties with schools that had participated in either a pyramidal tossup/bonus event or a circuit, Saturday event such as a pyramidal OAC tournament after January 1st, 2010 and before January 1st, 2013.

County representation is as follows: Fairfield (Pickerington North, Fisher Cath., Fairfield Union, and Liberty Union); Pickaway (Logan Elm, Teays Valley); Ross (Chillicothe); and Washington (Belpre - they participate[d] in events across the river in West Virginia.) ***I realized this after the fact, but Scioto also falls in this category with Minford having competed at events at Ohio State and New Albany before Jan 1, 2013.***

The second map indicates counties with schools that participated in such events for the first time after January 1st, 2013.

Blue indicates a high school competing in its first pyramidal tossup/bonus event or circuit, Saturday event.

Red indicates a middle school competing in its first pyramidal tossup/bonus event or circuit, Saturday event.

Oranges indicates a collective of high school students that competed in a pyramidal tossup/bonus event or circuit, Saturday event. This only applies to Athens County and, yes, I know Athens Co should have a blue mark on it as for Nelsonville-York competing at Chillicothe. I forgot that they did when I created it, but between me being a college student of simple means (I do not have MS Paint nor Photoshop, I used a free iPhone app to make this) and the fact it basically would not let me re-overlay a blue dot after I finished the project, I'm just going to leave it as is.

County representation is as follows: Athens (Athens high school students: there was a collective of students that competed unaffiliated from Athens High School in a History Bowl event, and Nelsonville-York); Clinton (Clinton-Massie, East Clinton); Gallia (River Valley MS); Highland (Hillsboro); Hocking (Logan); Jackson (Oak Hill, Wellston); Lawrence (Ironton, Ironton St. Joseph); Meigs (Southern MS); Perry (Sheridan); Pike (Pike County CTC, Piketon, and Waverly); Ross (Adena, Huntington, Southeastern, and Unioto); Scioto (Northwest, Portsmouth, Valley, and Wheelersburg); Washington (Marietta - they competed at Sidney one year.)

By the numbers...

Pre-01/01/2013 play: five counties, nine schools.

Post-01/01/2013 play (this only factors in newly competing schools): thirteen counties, twenty-five schools (this counts River Valley MS and Southern MS.)

As an FYI - I did not count Warren or Clermont Counties in this only because I looked at counties that fit the broader category of "Southeastern Ohio."

It is exciting to see the game grow in this region of the state in ways some, such as I, would never have expected. Credit to Greg Bossick for helping lay ground work with his weekday events along with the Saturday event SERIOUS at OU-Ironton. Additionally, credit is certainly in order to Josh Queen and Cortney Bird for their efforts, their organization of events, and dedication to helping build a circuit of events for nearby schools to compete at. While I have differences with Josh and Cortney, there is no denying that they have worked very hard in making the spread of quiz bowl happen in southern Ohio and it would be rather negligent of me to make mention of Southern Ohio's advances in quiz bowl activity without acknowledging the work that they have done.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I love the mapping, Tom! Thanks for taking the time to look up everything...all those tournaments can't have been easy to track down. Nice to see the data confirm that outreach efforts in the southeast are paying off...props to Greg, Josh, Cortney, and programs like Waverly, Adena, Huntington, etc. who have worked hard to put on really good, affordable tournaments in the last couple years.
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Re: 1st Annual Southern Meigs MS-20 QB Tournament 2/4/17 OQB

Postby crbirdx1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys!!
crbirdx1
Varsity