Northmont Novice and Middle School Tournaments

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

Northmont Novice and Middle School Tournaments

Postby Djones » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Northmont will be hosting concurrent high school novice and middle school tournaments on March 18th at Northmont HS in Clayton, Ohio. We will be using the SCOP Novice High School and SCOP Middle School sets.

The middle school tournament is open to all middle school teams in Ohio and beyond. The cost for registration is $50 with a $5 discount for bringing a buzzer set and $5 for bringing a moderator.

The high school novice tournament is open to all students with 2 or fewer years playing high school quizbowl. Any player who has scored over 25 PPG at a national championship tournament is not allowed to compete. Our goal is to give established teams an opportunity to get some younger players the chance to play, while also introducing some new teams in SW and WC Ohio to tossup/bonus quizbowl. The registration cost will also be $50 with a $5 discount for buzzers and $5 for bringing a moderator.

If you are interested in participating, you can post here or email me at djonesATnorthmontschoolsDOTnet

We hope to see teams in Clayton in March!
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Re: Northmont Novice and Middle School Tournaments

Postby Djones » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:57 pm

High School Field (12):
Beavercreek (2)
Clermont Northeastern (1)
ECOT (1)
Little Miami (2)
Miami Valley (1)
Northmont (2)
Sidney (1)
St. Charles (1)
Zanesville (1)

Middle School Field (6):
Beavercreek (1)
Cleveland Heights (1)
Miami Valley (3)
Northmont (1)
Last edited by Djones on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Djones
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 pm

For anybody that hasn't played the SCOP high school set - we used it for our league tournament today and last year as well and it is a very well-written set, especially for younger players. I consider the difficulty to be somewhere between NAQT-A and IS sets. If you have younger kids, this is definitely a great way to get them some experience on accessible questions.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

BobKilner wrote:For anybody that hasn't played the SCOP high school set - we used it for our league tournament today and last year as well and it is a very well-written set, especially for younger players. I consider the difficulty to be somewhere between NAQT-A and IS sets. If you have younger kids, this is definitely a great way to get them some experience on accessible questions.

I agree: I read at a SCOP tournament a few years ago and the questions were great for younger players.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 am

I'm on break for this weekend, also, so if you need a reader feel free to hit me up.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Return to Old/Outdated Posts