2017 OAC Regionals

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

2017 OAC Regionals

Postby gbdriver80 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 pm

The official placement of teams just went out to coaches, and at-large teams were just notified of their status. Here is all the info:
Attachments
2017 OAC Regional Placements.JPG
2017 OAC Regional Placements.JPG (131.96 KiB) Viewed 57323 times
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: 2017 OAC Regionals

Postby BobKilner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

My much-too-early picks:

North Coast:
1. BBHHS
2. Aurora

Northeast:
1. Copley
2. Cloverleaf

Northwest:
I'm going to defer to Greg Bossick for these picks - I know literally nothing about the NW region.

Southeast:
1. Fisher Catholic
2. ????? (Tom, what do you think here?)

Southwest:
Again, no real idea about anything down that way - I know Walnut Hills is pretty good, and Mason and St. Xavier have always been strong. Somebody who knows something about that area please chime in.

West Central:
1. Miami Valley School
2a. Northmont
2b. Beavercreek
2c. Sidney
---- Really really wide open, probably the most wide open of the six regions. The draw will impact this region a lot more than any other.

Thoughts?
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm

BobKilner wrote:Southeast:
1. Fisher Catholic
2. ????? (Tom, what do you think here?)

Lakewood of Cuyahoga County is my pick, but Licking Heights, St. Charles, Dublin Jerome and Olentangy are all pretty close in the next tier of teams there.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Oh Bob, you flatter us! MVS will be without William Groger (ineligible due to 8th grade status), so John John and Max will be carrying the bulk of the load at Regionals. Anything can happen, but I see a ferocious four-team race for the two spots between MVS, Sidney, Beavercreek, and Northmont, with Sidney and Beavercreek maybe having a slight edge in a vacuum (not considering draw). Beavercreek went undefeated in the GWOC, beating Sidney on opening weekend, and Sidney was second with a win over Northmont in the final weekend. I would also say that Northmont has looked very strong on OAC questions in the two tournaments I've seen them at (not they don't always look good!). Teams that could play spoiler: Tippecanoe, Centerville?

Southwest: I don't know. I've seen Little Miami and Walnut Hills play this year, and Wyoming was at Mason Mashup (NAQT) and was strong. I'll go ahead and say Little Miami and Wyoming in some order. LM has a nice team this year. One of the really big Cincinnati schools could make me eat my words though.

Southeast: I'll go ahead and pick Fisher to win, and Dublin Jerome to finish second on a hunch. St. Charles could be in the mix, and don't take your eye off the ball against Wheelersburg.

Northwest: Anything here would be a total guess. I've seen Ben Logan play several times and thought they looked good. If I'm thinking of the right Riverdale, they've got two brothers(?) who were nice players in middle school a couple years back...could be a team to watch down the line, but might be too early just yet.

Northeast: I'll take Copley to win and Cloverleaf to finish second. Don't sleep on Wooster.

North Coast: This region feels like it has the most teeth of any outside the West Central. I like Westlake, Olmsted Falls, and Solon in some order, and the draw could play a factor.

Good luck to all teams in the field!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:55 am

BobKilner wrote:My much-too-early picks:

North Coast:
1. BBHHS
2. Aurora

Northeast:
1. Copley
2. Aurora

Congrats to Aurora on their predicted second-place finish in two regions. :mrgreen:

trbenedict wrote:Oh Bob, you flatter us! MVS will be without William Groger (ineligible due to 8th grade status), so John John and Max will be carrying the bulk of the load at Regionals. Anything can happen, but I see a ferocious four-team race for the two spots between MVS, Sidney, Beavercreek, and Northmont, with Sidney and Beavercreek maybe having a slight edge in a vacuum (not considering draw). Beavercreek went undefeated in the GWOC, beating Sidney on opening weekend, and Sidney was second with a win over Northmont in the final weekend. I would also say that Northmont has looked very strong on OAC questions in the two tournaments I've seen them at (not they don't always look good!). Teams that could play spoiler: Tippecanoe, Centerville?

Having read for John-John playing solo for MVS at Copley, he looked pretty confident and collected in the process playing as a freshman (on his own) versus four-person, generally much older teams (like Brecksville-Broadview Heights.) I think that experience, coupled with his experiences playing undermanned (less than four players) on plenty of pyramidal questions through the year, can offset not having his brother playing alongside him. Max is pretty solid also, so my guess is MVS will be pretty competitive. Possibly good enough to win the entire region, but as you mentioned there are three other teams (SHS, BC, and NM) right there with MVS and two of them are captained by two incredible senior players with plenty of OAC regionals + state experience. It could be MVS, BC; it could be MVS, NM; it could be MVS, SHS; it could be any of those three, MVS; and it could be any two of the other three schools as well! There are so many possibilities and combinations, given the parity between the top four teams, that anything could happen and the draw will (unfortunately) play a huge role in who gets knocked out first.

Even though they were probably half a notch below MVS, Beavercreek and Sidney through the first 3/4 of the season, Northmont appears to have really picked up. Kara appears to have more help, but I can't tell if she's getting help more help from the players eligible to play in Regionals (the high schoolers) or if she's getting complimented better by middle schoolers such as Samantha. Regardless, NM will be pretty well prepared I think for Regionals. No discredit to Coaches Benedict, Bickel or Spence (all fine coaches and good people!) but few coaches in the state of Ohio (in my opinion) can improve a team quicker and have them more prepared for Regionals than Jones.

Centerville, Tipp, and CJ might play spoilers - all three are good teams as well, and I don't want to write them off as not having a chance to get one of this region's two state bids, but WC is certainly the toughest path this year to states.

Southwest: I don't know. I've seen Little Miami and Walnut Hills play this year, and Wyoming was at Mason Mashup (NAQT) and was strong. I'll go ahead and say Little Miami and Wyoming in some order. LM has a nice team this year. One of the really big Cincinnati schools could make me eat my words though.

Always the toughest region to call, IMO, because of how seldom these schools (with the exception of Little Miami recently) play Saturday circuit events. My guess is Walnut Hills and Wyoming will square off in the loser's bracket final, for the right to play Little Miami. Before the questions went pyramidal, by my guess and estimation, one could never count out one of the GCL Mega-Catholics (X, Elder, and Moeller) to take the region, but none of Catholic schools down that way have played any tossup/bonus pyramidal this year with the exception of Mercy. Experience on pyramidal questions, I think, prevails here.

Southeast: I'll go ahead and pick Fisher to win, and Dublin Jerome to finish second on a hunch. St. Charles could be in the mix, and don't take your eye off the ball against Wheelersburg.

Good plug on Wheelersburg - always solid team from the Ohio River area. This region could be another one where the draw sets the tone for the tournament.

Northwest: Anything here would be a total guess. I've seen Ben Logan play several times and thought they looked good. If I'm thinking of the right Riverdale, they've got two brothers(?) who were nice players in middle school a couple years back...could be a team to watch down the line, but might be too early just yet.

My guess is Ben Logan and St. Mary's in either order.

Northeast: I'll take Copley to win and Cloverleaf to finish second. Don't sleep on Wooster.

Read for Wooster at Copley, they have a pretty solid player who gets some contributions here and there from teammates. Could be good enough to beat Cloverleaf in the losers bracket (assuming Copley bounces the Colts into there), just depends on the packet I guess. Also, watch out for Black River.

North Coast: This region feels like it has the most teeth of any outside the West Central. I like Westlake, Olmsted Falls, and Solon in some order, and the draw could play a factor.

Yeah, this one is also really tough to call. Hard to bet against Solon based on tradition and how they've looked this year, but Aurora and Westlake are both pretty good as well. If Olmsted Falls has their full A team playing, they can probably make the top 2 as well. Tough region also!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Get Lynned wrote:
BobKilner wrote:My much-too-early picks:

North Coast:
1. BBHHS
2. Aurora

Northeast:
1. Copley
2. Aurora

Congrats to Aurora on their predicted second-place finish in two regions. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I meant Cloverleaf for second in the region with Copley... the colors screwed me up.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby rmaupin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Despite my limited perspective on the northern half of the state (since we don't play out that way), I'm still confident we will see Solon and Copley make it to state, as they are perennial powerhouses, and perennial powerhouses always seem to be able to rise to the occasion. That being said, other powerhouses like Olmsted Falls and Cloverleaf (according to the stats from tourneys this year) also look very strong.

I have a better feel for the southern half of the state:

Southeast:
Fisher Catholic for sure and probably Dublin Jerome (Jerome looked pretty impressive when we played them at the Rowdy Raider). I noticed that Olentangy Liberty is not on the list for regionals, which definitely surprised me.

West Central:
IT WILL BE AN ABSOLUTE BLOODBATH!!! If this were the World Cup, it would definitely be the Group of Death. I've given this a lot of thought, and I think that despite Northmont being a perennial power and Kara Combs having a great season and John John Groger becoming the Lebron James of Quiz Bowl very soon for Miami Valley, Sidney and Beavercreek look to be the ones to go to state.
Between Sidney and Beavercreek, I think Sidney will get the top spot (probably after a hard fought advantaged final). I think this because despite Hari Parameswaran typically outscoring Nour Hijazi, Sidney has the stronger supporting cast. At events like the Rowdy Raider, Shateyahronya, and the recent Yellow Jacket tournament it played out that way with Hari outscoring Nour, but Sidney having a better record than Beavercreek.

Of course, Tipp always has a strong team and you never know if Centerville or Madeira might surprise.

That being said, this will be the last regional tournament in the WC before the Groger brothers likely own it for the next 3 years.

Southwest:
Thanks to those that have given us at Little Miami some good pub going into the tourney. I'm really proud of how our team has improved over the year.

That being said, this region is also going to be very exciting to watch because there are legitimately about 7 or 8 of the teams that could go on to the state tourney.

Walnut Hills is down, but is still very strong. Wyoming impressed everybody at the Mason tourney last month. But don't count other REALLY strong teams: Sycamore (GMC champ), Mason (GMC second place), Anderson (ECC co-champ with Walnut Hills), Ross (SWOC co-champs with Little Miami), and of course catholic patricians St. X and Moeller.

Ignoring any chances for Little Miami, I would likely pick Sycamore and Wyoming.

I know that the SW region doesn't get much attention or respect on the state stage (which is deserved due to lack of Saturday playing and lack of winning any state titles in recent memory), I think that whoever come out of the SW region, are going to impress some folks at the state tourney. I'm not predicting that the SW will be home of the state champs, but I think our region will play a spoiler for a team or two on May 13th.

Good luck to all teams! This will be a great series of regional tourneys!
Ron Maupin
Head Coach - Little Miami High School
rmaupin
Junior Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Fremont Ross unfortunately had to drop from the Northwest Regional because of unexpected conflicts. Thankfully though Oak Harbor will be able to compete in their place as at-large team who was not originally awarded a spot in the field!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 am

Benjamin Logan has also had to unfortunately drop from the Northwest Regional, and none of the at-large applicants that did not get into the field originally are able to travel to the Northwest Regional that day, so they will be playing with 15 teams.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Dublin Jerome has had to drop from the Southeast Regional, so they will be running with 15 teams.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Lisbon has had to drop from the North Coast Regional as a result of an emergency situation, so they will be playing with 15 teams tomorrow.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm kind of curious about something. Has any thought been given about how to deal with the rash of drops? Have these kinds of numbers been common in the past? Is there anything that can actually be done about this? Maybe not but I still thought I would ask.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 pm

ThePocketProtector wrote:I'm kind of curious about something. Has any thought been given about how to deal with the rash of drops? Have these kinds of numbers been common in the past? Is there anything that can actually be done about this? Maybe not but I still thought I would ask.

This is the first time I can ever remember there being a problem with this. On the summer agenda is approving measures to make sure teams know registering is committing to compete. But all in all, I think we have just been quite unlucky this year. In particular with today's drop, there definitely could not have been anyone forseeing this situation, even them, before it happened today.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Sat May 06, 2017 8:01 am

Of course. I wasn't talking about that specific situation. Terrible emergencies happen unfortunately. I was more looking at the totality of recent drops. My timing was probably poor. I'm good at that.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:37 pm

At West Central, Beavercreek went undefeated, and Sidney came out as the runner-up.

I know Copley won their first four at NE and so did Fisher at SE, so they are both onto State as well.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Aurora and Solon in from NC, order TBD. Aurora has advantage going in
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby beasterling » Sat May 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Copley and Cloverleaf are in from the Northeast. The final is being played now.
Brian Easterling
Cloverleaf '14 Ohio State '18
OSUAT Vice President
OAC Committee College Representative
beasterling
Rookie

Postby tcld » Sat May 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Any way of putting the played out brackets on line? Either here or on the OAC page?
Leonard Donaldson
TCQB
inspirational/s.a. comment goes here
tcld
Rookie

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Lakewood (Cuyahoga County) knocks off St. Charles to become second team out of SE. Lakewood is the second at-large team that has qualified for OAC State - Rocky River did it in 2014.
Last edited by gbdriver80 on Sat May 06, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:17 pm

tcld wrote:Any way of putting the played out brackets on line? Either here or on the OAC page?

I am going to look into this! I have an Excel sheet with it for WC - have to see what the other site coordinators can get me.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 pm

I have to leave here shortly but as soon as I get home late tonight, I will get the field updated in the State thread, send out the Regionals wrap-up e-mail to coaches, send out info for State to the affected coaches, post the Regionals questions from today, etc.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Postby Tim the enchanter » Sat May 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Little Miami beat Walnut Hills in a 2 game final out of the Losers bracket to win the Southwest after losing to them in the 3rd round.
Quiz bowl parent
Tim the enchanter

Postby ThePocketProtector » Sat May 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Side Note: I'm glad we have a quiz bowl parent on here. Welcome Tim! (This counts even if this isn't your first post.)
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm

tcld wrote:Any way of putting the played out brackets on line? Either here or on the OAC page?

Four of the six regions have their complete brackets linked on the OAC homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacade ... ition/home

I am going to work to see if I can get the Southwest and Northwest brackets up there as soon as I can get them. Working on sending a barrage of e-mails right now.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 pm

For those that were not at Regionals today, I wanted to post the e-mail I just sent those coaches because there is plenty of important information in it that other people will find useful as well:

Coaches,

Thank you for competing at OAC Regionals on Saturday! I hope that you and your team had a great time! With the season coming to a close, I wanted to pass along several pieces of information.

As a quick wrap-up of results for everyone, here are the two teams (in order of finish) that will be competing at State next Saturday:

North Coast: Solon and Aurora
Northeast: Copley and Cloverleaf
Northwest: Findlay and Swanton
Southeast: Fisher Catholic and Lakewood (Cuyahoga County)
Southwest: Little Miami and Walnut Hills
West Central: Beavercreek and Sidney

Full results can be found (or will soon be available depending on region) on the homepage of the OAC website by clicking on the linked name of each Regional.

The questions for Regionals have been posted on the OAC website at: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacade ... /questions
At the conclusion of the State tournament this coming weekend, those questions will become available at this link as well.

If you are interested in attending the summer meeting of the OAC Committee, it will be on Tuesday, June 27th at 10:00 AM at St. Charles Preparatory School. If you are planning on attending, we will be meeting in the theater building that is marked by a 1 on the attached map.

If you would be interested in representing your region on the OAC Committee should an opening become available, please fill out the following form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

If you have players graduating this year that may be interested in playing while at college, please pass along this link to them to help them connect with other players at their future university: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Also, for your returning players, ACE offers quiz bowl camps around the country each year. Information about the Ohio camp and other camps can be found here: http://www.aceqb.com/camps
While they are not affiliated in any way with OAC, I will be helping to direct the camps in Ohio, Illinois, and Pennsylvania this year, so I should be able to answer most questions that you might have.

As my first year as the Executive Director comes to a close, I hope that things are moving in the right direction for OAC and Ohio quiz bowl as a whole. If you ever have any feedback or anything at all that I can help with, please let me know!

Hopefully the rest of the school year goes well and you enjoy your summer!

Joe Czupryn
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:42 am

gbdriver80 wrote:

Four of the six regions have their complete brackets linked on the OAC homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacade ... ition/home

I am going to work to see if I can get the Southwest and Northwest brackets up there as soon as I can get them. Working on sending a barrage of e-mails right now.

All Regional results are now linked on the OAC home page!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby trbenedict » Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm

So I just went through and looked through all the regions...looks like there were tons of great matches! Props to Walnut Hills for their impressive run in the SW (stop me if you've heard this before, but they're really young...), Little Miami for pulling out two clutch matches to beat them in the final, and Lakewood for paving a convincing road to State. As for the dark horses I tried to call back in April...

trbenedict wrote:Don't take your eye off the ball against Wheelersburg.

The Pirates got bitten by the draw slightly, having to face Fisher in round 2, then dropping a 5-point game to Olentangy in round 4. I heard from Tom that their captain, Nate M., notched some impressive buzzes.

trbenedict wrote:If I'm thinking of the right Riverdale, they've got two brothers(?) who were nice players in middle school a couple years back...could be a team to watch down the line, but might be too early just yet.

The Falcons were 1-2, but I still stand by them as a squad with some potential in the next couple years.

trbenedict wrote:Don't sleep on Wooster.

Made it all the way to the finals of the NE top bracket before losing to Copley, then lost the rematch to Cloverleaf in the consolation bracket finals to finish in third place. Thanks for making me look smart, Generals!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Return to General Announcements