2017 OAC State

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

2017 OAC State

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:58 pm

I will update the field as final results come in.

North Coast
1. Solon
2. Aurora

Northeast
1. Copley
2. Cloverleaf

Northwest
1. Findlay
2. Swanton

Southeast
1. Fisher Catholic
2. Lakewood (Cuyahoga County)

Southwest
1. Little Miami
2. Walnut Hills

West Central

1. Beavercreek
2. Sidney
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: 2017 OAC State

Postby BobKilner » Sun May 07, 2017 12:28 pm

My knee jerk prediction for states:

1. Beavercreek
2. Fisher Catholic
3. Solon
4. Cloverleaf

But we all know OAC is the great equalizer and the draw goes a lot into it as well, so we shall see.

EDIT: Edited due to Nour and Kevin both being absent Saturday.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Sun May 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I am calling Copley to win OAC State. This is a _great_ field, but I think Copley separates themselves from the pack for several reasons (and no, being treated to the wonderful readers' buffet there did not influence my decision :mrgreen:.)

Beavercreek is a very fine team; of all the teams participating, I am postulating they are the strongest across measures of PPB and powers. However, this is Beavercreek's first time at OAC States in a minute. Hari is an incredible player, and his accomplishments and improvement is especially noteworthy since he's only a sophomore, but I'm inclined to think (from my experiences playing OAC at regionals and states) that balance, particularly in a format that allows for conferral, prevails.

Copley, from my observation of reading them and reading stat breakdowns, is the most balanced team in this field. I'm not sure if they're necessarily the deepest, but they won the Northeast Regional without Kevin (who is a very strong player.) Their specialization in categories makes for their players to be really concentrated on the topics they have to care about, which makes for better efficiency in terms of tossups heard/answered correctly per player. Additionally, Copley is by far the most tradition rich team in this field when it comes to OAC; that's their bread and butter, and, coupled with pretty good pyramidal experience and performance, the ability to confer and work together I feel makes Copley a legitimate threat in this tourney to win it all.

I think the top two in this tournament will be Beavercreek and Copley. BC, in my opinion, presents the biggest obstacle to the Indians' quest for a seventh OAC State Title. I think while Beavercreek could be the strongest team in this field, there are intangibles such as OAC States experience and balance that I feel pushes Copley above BC.

If FC gets second in the state, that means they pulled a few upsets along the way. Not sure if this is a team really capable of pulling those sorts of upsets given their NAQT States performance. (Not hating on you for the prediction though, Bob. Go Irish!)

Possible draw scenarios, from the perspective of FC (kind of shapes the scenarios for other teams): 40% chance that either Beavercreek or Copley is in FC's morning group; I believe it's a 20% chance that Beavercreek, Copley, and FC are all in the same bracket (unless I did the math wrong, which I probably did.) I think it's also a 40% chance they get Copley and Sidney in their morning draw. I'm not too math-savvy, nor am I too familiar with the combination possibilities (or are they permutations?) that create the draw.

I'm inclined to think Lakewood and Sidney are darkhorses. For the latter, and no disrespect to any of the other seniors in the field, it's obvious that Nour has had an absolutely illustrious four year career as a player, and I think he has the means and drive to turn in a spoiler performance in the morning that can put the Jackets' in the afternoon. As for Lakewood... they were in my room twice yesterday, they were great at fine arts and literature. Solid on history and RMP, and competent at science. I'm not too sure how they will fare on harder material, but they're definitely a team that will pull their fair share of early buzzes and they're definitely not a team you can afford to 'neg' to 2+ times in the final round if you want to beat them.

I'm not too sure what Solon has, as I only read for them once this year, but I'm assuming they have a balanced attack that can pull a 3-2 or a 4-1 in the morning easily. Then there is Aurora, who had the advantage in NC before Solon took them to the second game and won. Obviously, we can't overlook who came out of North Coast, as, to use Tyler's words, that was the region that had "the most teeth, outside of the WC."

I don't want to discount Cloverleaf nor Coach Flint necessarily, but I think they'll need to get a lot of good early buzzes along with good category + alphabet round performances to keep themselves alive for final four contention.

Southwest teams... I think Little Miami and Walnut Hills are long shots to win the entire state, but they can play a spoiler role in the morning, particularly if a team such as FC or Sidney has a bad game. The thing about the SW regional that has always piqued my interest, particularly as it relates to the Regionals competition (and, by extension, the state competition) would be that while there aren't a ton of quiz bowl active schools down there, that regional was chocked full of schools that have great academic reputations, public and private. It definitely means something to win a regional that has Walnut Hills, St. X, Mason, Sycamore, Wyoming, and Turpin in it, regardless of how often or how little they play the game. That might not be a region where the best teams play of a lot of pyramidal quiz bowl (LM not withstanding), but it is a region where a lot of the teams have huge student populations and plentiful course offerings. Seeing as how the regional set was written, whether by intention or coincidence, in a manner that made classroom material pretty relevant rather than just making it a contest of knowing lists of authors and their works/lists of battles and their wars, I think this is noteworthy.

As much as I would rather not say "northwest has no shot of winning the title", I think this field too deep from all corners of the state for Findlay or Swanton to finish the morning with one loss or less. Both Findlay and Swanton put up 17.xx on IS 159-A, and Swanton is fresh of some good nationals experience, so those squads have that going for them. I just think this is a really tough year for a NW squad to break into the final four.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:30 pm

A note about Sidney: Nour will not be at OAC State for them on Saturday
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby Nour Hijazi » Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Yeah, I'll be in Orlando that weekend pretending I know how Java works. Our lineup will probably be Andrew, Whitney, Oliver, and some JV literature player.
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
Nour Hijazi
Rookie

Postby BobKilner » Mon May 08, 2017 8:01 am

Well that kinda stinks. I will not be at PACE, so since I probably won't see Sidney for the rest of this year, congratulations Nour on a great high school quizbowl career and good luck to you.
Bob Kilner
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby BobKilner » Mon May 08, 2017 10:47 am

A note on Copley: Per Josh, Kevin will probably be absent on Saturday as well. I edited my prediction above to reflect this although I'm still confident that Srikar and Tommy could potentially pull this thing off. They are a great pair.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby trbenedict » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Well that kinda stinks.

Agreed. It's too bad that Nour and Kevin will be missing the event...you two are both excellent players with excellent high school careers. Congratulations on all your accomplishments and thank you for the contributions you've made to Ohio quiz bowl so far (and will, I hope, continue to make!).

For predictions, given current information on rosters and ignoring draw as a factor, I'll pick Beavercreek to win the championship and Copley to finish second, followed by Fisher and (I think?) Aurora (but it could be anyone, there are lots of teams who could get hot, snag a close win, and then ride into the top 4). For Copley, Kevin might be gone, but Tommy, Srikar, and Frank are pretty darn good, and the Copley B team is deep enough that their fourth chair will likely still contribute. In the title game, I see it being close through the categories and alphabet, but Beavercreek's little extra firepower leads them to pull away in the lightning round.

Good luck to all twelve teams competing this Saturday!
Tyler Benedict
Coach, Miami Valley School Quiz Bowl
OAC Committee Middle School Representative
OQBA NASAT and Matt's Buzzers Liaison
Miami Valley School '09
trbenedict
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm

trbenedict wrote:
Well that kinda stinks.

Agreed. It's too bad that Nour and Kevin will be missing the event...you two are both excellent players with excellent high school careers. Congratulations on all your accomplishments and thank you for the contributions you've made to Ohio quiz bowl so far (and will, I hope, continue to make!).

Just wanted to touch on this and concur with both Bob and Tyler. I remember playing Nour and Kevin my senior year of high school, when they were freshmen. As competitors, despite their youth at the time, they beat me to several tossups on questions in categories that I was supposed to know. I've had the pleasure for reading them each a couple times over the past couple of years, and while they certainly got better as they matured and won their handful of respective first-place finishes at tournaments, they've also been a pleasure to read for; nice, well-mannered students.

Assuming they're attending nationals, I wish them the best of luck! Have fun, and soak up the moment (it doesn't hit until afterwards just how bad you'll miss playing.)
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby leafstorm_is_stock » Sat May 13, 2017 5:36 am

Good luck to everybody today I look forward to playing everybody on my last regular difficulty high school matches!
Hunter Wotruba
Fisher Catholic 2013-2017
Miami University 2017-2021
leafstorm_is_stock
Rookie

Postby BobKilner » Sat May 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Congrats to Beavercreek for winning the 2017 OAC State championship and Fisher Catholic for finishing as the runner-up. Congrats to Solon for 3rd as well.

I correctly predicted those three in that order... :pats self on back:

I look forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta.
Bob Kilner
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby gbdriver80 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Links to all OAC State scores can be found on the homepage of the OAC website: https://sites.google.com/site/ohioacade ... ition/home

Congratulations to Beavercreek on their state championship and for sweeping NAQT and OAC this year!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby pbergman » Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 am

Big congratulations to Beavercreek. To sweep both state titles, and to win OAC with the disadvantage, is quite an accomplishment. Also congratulations to all the teams at State. A great group of kids who showed incredible knowledge and impressive sportsmanship.

Thanks too to Alex and St. Charles for hosting, to the readers who were terrific, and to Joe Czupryn for coordinating a flawless tournament.
Peter Bergman
Academic Challenge Coach
English Teacher
Solon High School
pbergman
Varsity

Return to General Announcements