Ohio's College Quizbowl

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

Ohio's College Quizbowl

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 am

I figured it would be a good idea to get a centrally located, easily accessible assembly of information pertaining to college quizbowl in Ohio.

At current, there are six college programs that befit 'active' or 'existing'; these clubs are: Case Western, Kenyon, Miami, Ohio State, Wright State, and Youngstown State.

There are also a few schools that have recent Ohio hs q/b alumni currently attending, and while they may not necessarily be 'sure bets' to play and be active past a year or two, at the very least it is helpful to point out that there is a connection there.

Active Programs
Ohio State - by far the most active, by far the most prominent. Not much really needs to be said here.

Case Western - Case is not only the next-most active club after Ohio State, but it's also the club with the next most longevity and 'being around the block.' Like Ohio State, it attracts a good handful of quizbowl alumni in-state and out-of-state; unlike Ohio State, it's a relatively smaller university and evidently requires a really dedicated individual to work and keep the program alive when the leadership graduates (whereas Ohio State its more easily passed down, traditionally.) It might go through a year or two lapse of not playing, as evidenced by the gap between the Steven Wellstead, et al -> Drew Scheeler, et al era and the Tyler McMacken, et al era.

Kenyon - Of the 'Five Colleges of Ohio', and more broadly the liberal arts colleges in the Buckeye State, Kenyon is the only one that plays. Most clubs, as expected, may wax and wane in terms of survival, but it appears that the club that was created with the efforts of Gabe Brison-Trezise (Hanover, NH) and Alex Pijanowski (W.H. Harrison, IN), both of whom have since graduated, has built up a good foundation for such a small school (enrollment ~1,700.) Graham Reid (Hanover, NH) captained the team last year and graduated, but they have a good handful of returning players. Many of those returning members also played for nationally known teams in high school, including Lauren Onel (U. Chicago Lab, IL), Mila Frank (North Hollywood, CA), and Hannah Edelen (Woodford County, KY.) Heather McCabe played high school quizbowl in Vermont, also. I would assume they'll still be active for at least a couple years, because why would it just crumble and fall with so many returning players, many of whom played extensively in high school? As an aside, it is encouraging to see a club with many female players given the predominance of male players in the game.

Miami – Their best player from last year, Jake Kissinger, played an event in fall 2013, so my guess is that he has graduated. They return David Nash (St. Charles, OH) and Scott Sutton (Aurora, OH.) Hunter Wotruba (Fisher Catholic, OH) is an incoming freshman that, if he plays, will surely boost the club.

Wright State – The Raiders have been on the circuit for four years now, and everything I have heard indicates they're here to stay. Aaron Jensen (Sidney, OH) returns, but Nour Hijazi (Sidney, OH) and Kara Combs (Northmont, OH) are incoming freshmen that, from what I understand, are considering playing. If they are playing, then WSU will be a dangerously good team to watch out for.

Youngstown State – YSU's program is back up and running. As best as I understand, they bring back everyone (or nearly everyone?) They have some of the better talent to come through the Mahoning Valley in the high school scene in recent years on their roster. Mike Palagano (Boardman, OH) is their leading scorer, with contributions from Cole Baird (Lowellville, OH) and Zack While (Austintown Fitch, OH.)

Schools Without a Club, But Who Have HS q/b Alumni Attending
Denison – Brandon Shull (Fisher Catholic, OH) goes to Denison. Brandon never really wanted to 'stop' playing, but its my understanding he doesn't have the time to formally set up a club, and he is generally busy with other things. I wouldn't completely rule him out from considering going to an event if someone else is willing to help set up a club for financing, but at the same time I wouldn't expect him to all of the sudden just create a club now that he has two years (or less?) to go.

Ohio Wesleyan – I go there; creating a club and maintaining it, as far as I know, involves some red tape and some time commitments in order to actually get the club registered with the school for financing. I have neither the time nor energy to create one on my own, and since I'm out of there in a year (or less) anyways, I'm not going to make one unless someone else would want to split the duties with me. I might play an event, out of my pocket, 'cause why not? I know Ricky Sammartino (Boardman, OH) is an incoming freshman, according to Pranav. If he (or anyone else that's coming) wants to get something going, I'm more than willing to do what I can to help get it off the ground.

College of Wooster – Max Cohen (Bexley, OH) was either going to go to Ohio Wesleyan or Wooster, and he landed on Wooster. Unsure if he still goes there or not, he'd be a senior if he is still attending. Hannah Hirsch (Chillicothe, OH) I believe goes there (maybe Coach Queen can clarify this for me.) Unsure if either of them are interested in playing quizbowl at the collegiate level, but if anyone is going there – those are people you may want to consider acquainting with to get something started.

Akron – The only thing I know about Akron is Tim Inzitari (who played History Bowl solo), from Centerville, will be an incoming freshman there.

No Information Known
The remaining colleges in Ohio not previously mentioned.
Last edited by Get Lynned on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Re: Ohio's College Quizbowl

Postby BobKilner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:41 pm

gap between the Steven Wellstead, et al -> Drew Scheeler, et al era

There wasn't any gap between Steven and Drew. They overlapped by two years and Drew immediately took over when Steven left.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm

BobKilner wrote:
gap between the Steven Wellstead, et al -> Drew Scheeler, et al era

There wasn't any gap between Steven and Drew. They overlapped by two years and Drew immediately took over when Steven left.

I wrote it weirdly, I was trying to mention the one or two year gap between when Drew was there and when Tyler took over. Meant to write the arrow to signify the overlap between Steven and Drew. (I should've just done 'gap between Steven/Drew and Tyler.') Apologies!
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby dxdtdemon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 pm

There were three University of Cincinnati freshmen at the WQC site they hosted this past weekend that I'm not sure if they're aware of the circuit or not. Does Sam Blizzard still go there as well?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek(1999-2003), Ohio State (2003-07), Wright State(2012-fall14)
occasional question writer
dxdtdemon
Rookie

Postby crbirdx1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 am

These are the Liberty students that have graduated or will graduate.

Adam Hiltz FA 2016 @ Cincinnati
Anna Pyo Lit 2017 @ Cincinnati
Spencer Dirrig Hist 2015 @ OSU
Ini N'tukidem FA 2017 @ OSU
Nayan Patel Hist 2017 @ OSU
George Christy Hist 2017 @ OSU
Ruarai O'Tighearnaigh RMP 2018 @ OSU
Sneha Darbha Sci 2016 @ CWR

Hiltz said there is a trivia club @UC where they write their own questions and quiz on them once a month or more.
crbirdx1
Varsity

Postby leafstorm_is_stock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Is anybody else​ from Ohio teams going to Miami?
Hunter Wotruba
Fisher Catholic 2013-2017
Miami University 2017-2021
leafstorm_is_stock
Rookie

Postby jrbellas » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 am

Faith Walker from Tipp will be at Miami this fall, and might be interested in keeping her involvement. She's mostly a lit player, but can pull a little bit of fine arts and science. We were so bad at math, she also covered that this year for us. Thank god there's almost no math in college quiz bowl.
jrbellas
Junior Varsity

Return to General Announcements