OAC Summer Meeting

All general announcements/updates/etc. should be posted here.

OAC Summer Meeting

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 am

The summer meeting of the OAC Committee is scheduled for Thursday, June 21st at 10:00 AM. It will be at the Northside Branch of the Columbus Library (1423 N High Street, Columbus, OH 43201).

Hopefully people will be able to make it out, especially if you have something you would like to discuss! If there is anything you would like to see discussed, please e-mail me in advance of the meeting so that I can get it on the agenda.

Also anybody associated with quiz bowl in NW Ohio, as well as incoming and current college players, there are/will be open seats on the committee for those positions. If interested, please apply at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Wxtpn1j1pnWG5Prp4gFBDy1MdI6NtNfHzyHZuCaBVrc/viewform?edit_requested=true
Joe Czupryn
OAC Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Re: OAC Summer Meeting

Postby ThePocketProtector » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

Is that where the meeting was 3 years ago? That was the meeting where Mr. Eck was promoted, I believe. Last year was at St. Charles. The year before that was the interesting library on the south side of downtown.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
Runner of FAC Quiz Bowl League
Freelance runner of quiz bowl tournaments
At Large OAC Committee Member.
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm

ThePocketProtector wrote:Is that where the meeting was 3 years ago? That was the meeting where Mr. Eck was promoted, I believe. Last year was at St. Charles. The year before that was the interesting library on the south side of downtown.

I was thinking that when I made the reservation but then read that this library only opened last year. So maybe a rebuilt version of that one?
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 pm

For those in the North Coast part of the state, there also may be an opening in the near future. Would be good to put in if you’re interested! Almost all the applications are still from the West Central part of the state.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby Get Lynned » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm

gbdriver80 wrote:
ThePocketProtector wrote:Is that where the meeting was 3 years ago? That was the meeting where Mr. Eck was promoted, I believe. Last year was at St. Charles. The year before that was the interesting library on the south side of downtown.

I was thinking that when I made the reservation but then read that this library only opened last year. So maybe a rebuilt version of that one?

This is “campus” area. Right off King Ave. Unsure if this helps, or not.
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:52 am

The agenda for the meeting has been posted to the website and can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIZONmUAwuMiS8ClVKb6OfFX3lCv1N82/view?usp=drive_web
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 pm

What is the concern with the Cincinnati team adding a grade level each year? I'm just curious.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 pm

ThePocketProtector wrote:What is the concern with the Cincinnati team adding a grade level each year? I'm just curious.

Brian would have to answer this - I am not sure what the exact question is they had; it was brought to him and I just put a vague description on the agenda. I believe it has something to do with a clarification pf them having to play as a completely separate school when there are only freshmen in the building or something along those lines but could be wrong.
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby ThePocketProtector » Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 am

I figured it was something like that. I like to do my research ahead of time.
Joshua Queen
No longer a coach
ThePocketProtector
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Minutes from today's meeting can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vcf_8oNykwmFVmNfxa0bpvJg647e4Nlu

All changes to the website and everything will be happening in the coming days and be completed by Monday evening. If you would like anything on the tournament calendar, please e-mail me. Thank you!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Postby gbdriver80 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 am

Everything on the website but the tournament calendars should be updated!

A quick summary of the exciting changes:

During a round, each team will have one, one-minute timeout that they may call after any tossup
    question, so after a tossup question in the category round or between questions in the final round.
    During this timeout, both coaches may talk to their team but no substitutions may take place and
    teams must remain in the competition room. (Rule E4 in OAC Rules)

At the beginning of Regionals, teams will complete a 50 question written seeding round to determine
    seeding for the Regionals bracket. Teams will have to select four players to complete the round
    and will have ten minutes to do so. Ties will be broken by a coin toss. Please see the OAC Regionals
    page for more details.

Teams will be guaranteed 5 games at OAC Regionals. This will not change the current double
    elimination bracket format, but after teams are eliminated from that bracket, there will be additional
    placement games, and those teams will still be alive for wild card bids to OAC State. Please see the
    brackets and details on the OAC Regionals page.

4 wild card teams will qualify for OAC State, making OAC State a 16 team double elimination
    tournament with a 5 game guarantee. Please see the OAC State page for more details.

If you have tournaments you would like on the calendars, please e-mail me or post here!
Joe Czupryn
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont '08
gbdriver80
Varsity

Return to General Announcements