The 10th NAQT Ohio State Championship, April 5

Any posts that are outdated will be moved here. Please do not post any new topics in this forum.

The 10th NAQT Ohio State Championship, April 5

Postby QuizBoss » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 pm

30 teams played at St. Charles Prep today, and I hope that the results are indicative of the strength and depth of Ohio quizbowl as a whole. No team went undefeated, no team went winless, and there were a number of close games that, had their results turned the other way, would have completely changed the outcome of the tournament.

Full stats are available here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

I need to catch up on the category stats, but once I do, I'll email the full chart to everyone so they can see the breakdown.

Congratulations to Northmont for defending their title, to South Range for being de facto small school champions (hopefully we can actually contest that title, either as part of this tournament or as a separate event next year), to all the teams for participating, and to all of the folks at St. Charles, the readers, and scorekeepers for helping to make the tournament a memorable experience for everyone.
Greg Bossick, formerly Persona Non Grata
Mogadore '98, Youngstown State '02 and '22
Director of the Mahoning, Ashtabula, Portage, and Toledo Area Quizbowl Leagues
QuizBoss
Varsity

Re: The 10th NAQT Ohio State Championship, April 5

Postby Get Lynned » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:12 pm

QuizBoss wrote:Congratulations to Northmont for defending their title, to South Range for being de facto small school champions (hopefully we can actually contest that title, either as part of this tournament or as a separate event next year), to all the teams for participating, and to all of the folks at St. Charles, the readers, and scorekeepers for helping to make the tournament a memorable experience for everyone.

I know this can be read into the wrong way, but why not just have a Division II deal (similar to what was done, in I think 2007) instead of declaring the highest-finishing small school (NAQT definition or an actual small school, but I presume you're using NAQT definition) as it's own champion? In other words, and no discredit to SR, but the only "small school" team they played was Beachwood's B team. I think having a seperate competition, or a competition within the competition would not only give a fairer chance at crowning a well-deserving champion but also declare a sense of legitimacy to the tournament (implying there was a contest vs statistics deciding the champ).

Also if that were to happen, would you want purely NAQT small schools or Division II?
Thomas Moore
Ohio Wesleyan '18

Retired from online, for good.
Get Lynned
Varsity

Postby BobKilner » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:34 pm

I just want to congratulate all teams on their performance today, especially Northmont, Dublin Scioto, Fisher and St. Charles for making the final four. It was a privilege to read for you today and the couple times I've been able to do so this year.

I will say that in all the years I've been involved, this senior class of quizbowlers, at least the top-level ones that I have gotten to know this year and in years past, is by far my favorite. You guys enjoy the game, you are cordial to your opponents, readers and other players and you were a pleasure to read for. Specifically Tom, Andy, Arjun, Zel, Brianna and the Sidney guys, just to name a few - I wish you guys all good luck in college and your futures.

Good luck to everyone at regionals next weekend, states in a few weeks and of course, nationals for those attending.
Bob Kilner
Secondary Admin, ohioqbforum.com
Former Coach, Garfield Heights HS (2001-2008), North High School (2015-19, 21-22)
Kent State '06 / Boise State '10
BobKilner
Site Admin

Postby sbfromcopley » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped run the tournament, it was awesome getting back at a reasonable time even though we ran into crazy rush hour traffic. Especially thank you to people like Mr. Kilner and Mr. Czupryn who read for us, it was nice having good readers in the afternoon who kept things moving.
Sayeef Moyen
Copley 2015
OSU 2019
sbfromcopley
Rookie

Postby QuizBoss » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:26 pm

So as not to tip anyone off about content of the set, I'll only be posting top 3 placings for the different categories here; no point totals or number/percentage of tossups will be included. The full information will be sent to the coaches later.

Current Events

1. Solon A
2. St. Charles A
3. Olmsted Falls A

Fine Arts

1. St. Charles A
2. Dublin Scioto
3. Fisher Catholic and Northmont A

Geography

1. Dublin Scioto
2. Tippecanoe
3. Northmont A